Market Place - Kingston Upon Thames - Colour
Kingston's Market Place was for centuries the commercial heart of the town. The pattern of the surrounding streets and buildings, was established by traders encroaching on the original Market Place. Once the pattern was established, it altered very little over the centuries.
Kingston has an unusual charter granted by King Charles 1 in 1628. It states that no other place can set up a market within 7 miles of the town, thus giving Kingston a monopoly in the area.
Photo Montage Postcard
Image Size: 14.9 x 10.5 cm